Skip to:

History

Recent Other Publications

Records 7 / 7

Here at the End of All Things: On losing oneself in the geography of fantasy worlds, from Middle Earth to Westeros

August 2017

I spent my adolescence around maps of places that didn’t exist.

Getting Serious about Race

July 2017

With every passing election, it seems clearer and clearer that the Western world's rich democracies are going through a fundamental political realignment.

My Sister's Mother: A Memoir of War, Exile, and Stalin's Siberia

March 2017

Some of the most moving responses I received after publishing my book Exile and Identity: Polish Women in the Soviet Union during World War II, which focuses on civilian deportees from Eastern...

The Geopolitics of Christmas

December 2015

As Christmas celebrations for 2015 wind down, Stanford historian and archaeologist Ian Morris discusses the global reach of different aspects of the Christmas holiday, and compares theories of the...

'Goebbels: A Biography,' by Peter Longerich

May 2015

As Peter Longerich's definitive biography of Joseph Goebbels is published in English translation, Stanford emeritus professor James J.

Why We Need Persistent Questioning About Civilian Deaths by Drones

April 2015

After an American hostage was mistakenly killed in a CIA drone strike, Stanford historian Priya Satia argues that oversight of and attitudes toward the drone program should be examined in light of...

While world seeks to defeat terror, Stockholm welcomes notorious terrorist into country

June 2011

The number one topic around the globe has been the world after Bin Laden and the appropriate ways for democracies to dispose of terrorists.

People

David Holloway, CISAC David Holloway Senior Fellow Professor, History, Professor, Political Science
Photo of Anna Grzymala-Busse Anna Grzymala-Busse Senior Fellow Professor, Political Science
Norman M. Naimark Senior Fellow, by courtesy Professor, History, Professor, by courtesy, German Studies, Senior Fellow, the Hoover Institution
Gerhard Casper Senior Fellow Professor in Undergraduate Education, Emeritus, Professor, Law, Emeritus
Michael A. McFaul Senior Fellow Professor, Political Science, Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution
Francis Fukuyama Senior Fellow
Karl Eikenberry Karl Eikenberry Fellow, S-APARC, Affiliate, CISAC, Affiliate, CDDRL, Affiliate, TEC
James J. Sheehan Senior Fellow, by courtesy Professor, History, Emeritus
Robert Harrison Senior Fellow, by courtesy Professor, French and Italian
Richard Saller Professor, Classics and History
Roland Hsu Affiliate